Sandy Hollow Golf Course History
18 Holes | 6,107 Yards | Par 71
Sandy Hollow Golf Course opened July 4, 1929, becoming the Rockford Park District’s third public course.
Sandy Hollow brought the game of golf to the southeast side of Rockford, and helped ease congestion at the park district’s first two courses back in the early 1930s.
Charles D. Wagstaff was selected to design the course. This Chicago-based firm would also design Rockford’s Mauh-Nah-Tee-See Country Club and help redesign the Rockford Country Club.
Sandy Hollow is an 18-hole golf course, covering 6,107 yards. It features sand traps, swales, and the first water hazard at a park district golf course.
One of the course’s defining elements is its slate-roofed brick clubhouse, which was built in 1931. Today the clubhouse is mostly covered in ivy and is surrounded by extensive gardens and flower baskets.