Elliot Golf Course History
18 Holes | 6,732 Yards | Par 72
Elliot Golf Course opened May 25, 1968, becoming the Rockford Park District’s fourth public course, and the first to be built by the district in nearly 40 years.
The decision to build Elliot Golf Course on Rockford’s eastside was made in part because that was the part of the town expected to see significant growth in the coming years.
The course was named after longtime Rockford Park District Superintendent (now titled Executive Director) Earl F. Elliot. Elliot started at the park district in 1928 as an engineer and landscape architect and became the district’s third superintendent in 1934. He held the position for 34 years before retiring in 1968.
The goal with Elliot Golf Course was to build a championship course for the Rockford area. It was designed by renowned golf course architect Lawrence Packard.
The 18-hole course covers 6,732 yards, featuring large greens, an abundance of sand bunkers, multiple water hazards, and a lighted practice area. Elliot was the first course in the district to have watered fairways and a public driving range. In 1969, it became the first of the district’s courses to offer gas-powered golf carts.
Elliot Golf Course hosted the first three years of the popular Rockford ProAm.